We make resolutions at New Years because we innately want the next year to be better. The desire to be happy and to feel worthwhile is built into us. We want to succeed.
Anything that we resolve to do that is life–changing, is very difficult. As the saying goes, “We are creatures of habit.” It takes more than good intentions to change a habit. It takes thought and planning. This year, take your resolutions, one at a time, and break them down into small steps that, when put together, will make them attainable and will change your life.
- Get a piece of paper and write down your goals. Under each one, write down what that goal means to you. Under each meaning, write the steps to achieving it.
- Prayer. Your Heavenly Father, the One who created you, wants you to be successful. Thank Him for helping you achieve it.
- Partner. Find a friend or someone who has your best interests in mind. Ask God to send you someone. Ask that person to hold you accountable. They will occasionally ask you how you are doing or will ask you every day or every week. They may have a goal in mind that you can help them with.
- Read my Bible more
- I will read it every morning at 7 a. m.
- I will start with the book of Matthew and read one chapter each day. (or a verse or ten verses – make it manageable)
- If I miss a day I will pick it up the next day.
- I will purchase a notebook to write down my thoughts about each day’s reading.
- Lose weight
- What causes me to gain weight?
- The kind of food I’m eating?
- Make a grocery list of the foods that I know are good for me and stick to it when I’m at the grocery store. Buy ONLY the food that will help me reach my goal
- Fast food lunches? - Pack a lunch.
- Between meal snacks? - Pick up snacks that are low in calories and that are healthy. Get bottled water and choose that before the snack.
Lack of exercise
- Use the treadmill at 6 a.m. everyday. I will take a day off on Sunday.
- I will park farther out in the parking lot in order to walk more.
- I will use the stairs instead of the elevator whenever possible.
- I will give monetarily to charitable organizations.
- I will give $20 per week.
- I will write the check every Friday.
- Help an elderly neighbor
- Mow George’s lawn, without being asked every Saturday at 10:00.
- Visit Edith every time I’m on my way to the store to ask what she needs. I will do this on Monday.
- Visit Judith every week on Thursday for at least 20 minutes to chat.
- Serving at a soup kitchen.
- I will go on the third Friday of every month.
You want to be successful. I want you to be successful. Most importantly, God wants you to be successful.
A Walk With the Women of the Bible
EBook by Lynne Chapman
Join me in getting to know some amazing
women of the Bible
while we extract valuable insights and
lessons from their lives.
Now available for Kindle under new title
A Walk With EVE
Also availble in paperback from Cafe Press.
Names of God Ebook
Almighty God. The Creator of heaven and earth.
Our God is given names in Scripture that
describe the characteristics of His personality.
Experience God through the names given Him in Scripture.