They serve this delicious drink at the “Living Room,” which is the bar at the Four Seasons Resort. If you are ever in Palm Beach I highly suggest making a stop at the Living Room. They have some of the most delicious and unique martinis. Those of you who read last year’s article Chinese Cocktails for the New Year recall the Lychee Martini which I first had there as well. They also have a beautiful outside seating area to enjoy these wonderful drinks. After tasting this Ginger Martini I knew I wanted to share this unique and delicious recipe.
Ginger, being one of the most common spices used in Chinese cuisine, gives this drink an ethnic twist and makes it perfect to serve at any holiday soiree. Ginger is actually the root of a flowering plant which is either used fresh or dried and ground in many Chinese dishes today. It is also used in Chinese medicine for stomach aliments and for cold symptoms. In this delicious martini, ground ginger is used which gives it a wonderful spicy kick. I also include just a dash of cinnamon to balance out and enhance the ginger flavor. Try this cocktail and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum. Enjoy and have a happy New Year!
1oz simple syrup
1/3 tsp ground ginger
Dash of cinnamon
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add the vodka, simple syrup, ground ginger, and cinnamon. The best vodka to use for this drink would either be Kettle One or Belvedere vodka. Both of these are great for almost any martini because they don’t have the overpowering alcohol flavor which allows the flavor of the other martini ingredients to come through.
- If you don’t have simple syrup, simply mix ¼ cup of hot water with ¼ cup of sugar until the sugar has melted. Then cool the mixture and use 1oz in the martini. The rest can be stored in the refrigerator for later use.
- After adding all of the ingredients to the ice, shake vigorously for about 1 minute and pour the entire contents into a martini glass.
- You can garnish this drink with a piece of crystallized ginger if you choose.
- Makes one martini.