In this week’s recipe baby bok choy is lightly stir fried with chicken in a delicious garlic ginger sauce. It is a very simple and quick recipe to make, especially if you need a delicious dinner in a hurry. Try this delightful dish and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum. Enjoy!
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (1.5 lbs)
½ tsp garlic salt
3 bunches of baby bok choy
2 tbsp peanut oil
1½ tbsp cornstarch
1 cup chicken broth
2 tbsp soy sauce
¼ tsp ground ginger
- Remove all of the fat from the chicken and cut it into 1 inch cubes. Sprinkle these cubes with the garlic salt and let them sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes.
- Thoroughly rinse the baby bok choy and pull the stalks from the base, discarding the base. Then cut the leaves and stalks into large 1½ or so inch chunks keeping them separate. Then set them aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ingredients for the sauce and set it aside.
- In a small cup, mix the cornstarch with a little warm water just so that it dissolves and set it aside.
- Heat a non stick pot or wok on high. Once the wok is hot add 1 tablespoon of the peanut oil and let it get hot. Then add the chicken cubes and stir fry them for about 6 to 8 minutes or until brown. If you let the chicken sit on one side for about 2 minutes before stirring, it will brown quicker. Simply let it sit for 2 minutes and then stir, and then let it sit for another 2 minutes and stir again. Repeat this until most of the chicken is brown.
- Once the chicken has browned, remove it from the wok and set it aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the wok.
- Once this oil is hot add the baby bok choy stalks and stir fry them for 2 minutes. Then add the leaves and stir fry for another minute. The stalks are stir fried first because they are denser than the leaves and therefore take longer to cook.
- Return the chicken to the wok and add the sauce. Then bring everything to a boil.
- Once it boils, add the cornstarch mixture and stir until thick.
- Serve with either steamed or fried rice. Makes 3 servings.