Bakers took the concept of the Linzer torte and developed cookies that are mostly ground nuts with jam sandwiched in between. Linzer cookies usually call for a red variety of jam such as currant or raspberry, but they are also delicious with apricot. Although these cookies are not difficult, they are a bit time-consuming; they are definitely worth it, though, and will be an asset to any holiday cookie tray or buffet.
Makes about 32 sandwich cookies
3/4 cup blanched almonds
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
3/4 cup butter, cut in pieces
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup raspberry jam (about)
Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Place the almonds and flour in the food processor and process until the almonds are finely chopped.
- Add the sugar, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest.
- Process until combined, about 15 seconds.
- Add the butter pieces to the processor and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add the egg and vanilla; process until dough comes together.
- Shape the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate until firm enough to roll, about an hour (or freeze for 15 minutes).
- Preheat the oven to 350° .
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured pastry cloth to 1/8" thickness.
- Using a 2 1/2 inch tree shaped cookie cutter, cut out trees; reroll the scraps and cut out more trees.
- Using a small straw or plain pastry tip (such as Ateco #4), cut out 5 holes from half of the trees to represent ornaments.
- Carefully transfer the cookies onto greased or parchment- lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 9 - 11 minutes, or until the edges are beginning to brown.
- Transfer the cookies to cooling racks and cool thoroughly.
- Spread a teaspoon of the jam evenly onto each of the cookies without the holes.
- Lightly sift powdered sugar over the tops with the holes.
- Place the powdered sugar topped cookies over the jam-topped cookies.
- Store in an airtight container for up to one week or freeze for longer storage.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 109 Calories from Fat 61
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 56% Protein 7% Carb. 37%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 20 mg
Sodium 72 mg
Total Carbohydrate 10 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 2%