There is no mixing of dough required; frozen puff pastry sheets form the base of these pastries. They are sprinkled with a chocolate sugar mixture, rolled up, and flattened. These take just a few minutes to assemble, and only about 10 minutes to bake. If there are kids around, they’ll love to help.
Flat chocolate discs, which are used for the eyes, are available as Wilton candy melts in craft stores. The chocolate discs sold for chocolate fountains also work well.
Chocolate Puff Paste Owls
1 17.5 ounce package frozen puff pastry (2 sheets)
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
48 dark chocolate discs, such as Wilton candy melts, or fondue fountain chocolate pieces
24 whole cashews
Yellow and Orange M&M candies
- Take the puff pastry sheets from the freezer 30 minutes before assembling the owls.
- Roll one of the sheets on a lightly floured pastry cloth to a 12 x 12" square.
- Mix the sugar and cocoa powder in a small bowl.
- Brush the pastry lightly with the egg mixture, then sprinkle liberally with the sugar/chocolate mixture.
- Roll up each side tightly to the middle; brush the middle with a little of the egg mixture to make the rolled sides stick to each other.
- Cut the rolled pastry into 12 equal slices.
- Sprinkle some of the sugar mixture on a flat plate and press each of the pastry pieces into the sugar mixture (only on the bottom side - don't turn over to coat the top) while flattening with your fingers.
- Transfer each of the flattened pieces to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Repeat with the second pastry sheet.
- When all are flattened, place the sheet in the freezer for about 15 minutes or in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Pinch the top corner of each to resemble an owl.
- Bake in a preheated 425° oven for 7 minutes; remove from the oven, brush with the egg mixture, and press a chocolate disc on each side to resemble eyes. Press a cashew in the middle for the beak.
- Return to the oven and bake until the pastry is crisp and brown, 3-5 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven, press an M&M in the middle of each chocolate disc, and cool on racks.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 67 Calories from Fat 36
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 55% Protein 8% Carb. 38%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 9 mg
Sodium 15 mg
Total Carbohydrate 6 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 2 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 2%