Biscotti are my favorite cookies. I am always looking for ways to improve on them and make them healthier. Many of us are in search of tasty, sugar free products. This may be because you are diabetic or because you are aware of the negative effects on your health of too much sugar. Too much sugar can lead to diabetes. Two additional side effects of too much sugar are weight gain and aging. Even if we are not concerned about health, aging and weight gain may speak to our vanity.
I used one of my favorite chocolate biscotti recipes and altered it a bit to make it sugar free. I replaced white sugar with Splenda. To compensate for not using sugar I added instant coffee to bring out the flavor of the chocolate. I also added more vanilla than I usually do. The last change I made was replacing half of the butter with oil. I like this recipe with butter. However, canola oil is a much healthier option. Rather than replacing all of the butter with oil, I decided to use half of each.
Sugar Free Chocolate Biscotti Recipe
Makes 24 cookies
2 cups flour
1 cup Splenda
1/2 cup baking cocoa
1/2 stick butter, softened
1/4 cup canola oil
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tbsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. instant coffee
An additional egg for an egg wash
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a small mixing bowl combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and coffee. Set it aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl combine the Splenda, butter, and oil. Beat the mixture with an electric mixer.
4. Beat in the eggs, one at a time until combined.
5. Beat in the vanilla.
6. Slowly beat in the flour mixture, adding a little at a time.
7. Form the dough into two logs.
8. Brush the dough with an additional egg to add shine.
9. Bake for 25 minutes on a greased cookie sheet.
10. Allow the logs to cool for 10 minutes.
11. Slice the logs into cookies.
12. Bake for an additional 15 minutes.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate.