Lemon is such a light and refreshing flavor. Lemon always makes me think of spring and summer. This is a great cake for a brunch, Mother's day, or a birthday. I have made this cake before using 1 cup of canola oil. However, a full cup of oil just seems too much to me. I replaced half of the oil with yogurt and was unable to notice any difference.
A boxed cake mix is used for this recipe, making it quick and easy to prepare. No one will ever know that this delicious cake is from a cake mix. As this cake is baking, your kitchen will be filled with the wonderful smell of lemon.
Lemon Cake with White Chocolate Glaze Recipe:
Golden butter cake mix or a yellow cake mix
2 packages of lemon instant pudding mix
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
1/2 cup yogurt
Optional: lemon zest
White Chocolate Glaze:
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1 tbsp. milk
1 tsp. lemon extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine the cake mix and pudding mixes.
3. Add the oil, eggs, and yogurt and stir until smooth without lumps.
4. If adding lemon zest, stir in last.
5. To make lemon zest use a vegetable peeler or grater and rub it against the skin of the lemon. You only grate and use the yellow part. One lemon produces about 1 tbsp. of lemon zest. That is sufficient for this cake. Squeeze out the lemon juice and save for another use.
6. Grease a 10 inch bundt pan.
7. Pour the batter in the pan.
8. Bake for 20 minutes.
9. Lower the heat to 325 degrees and bake for an additional 35 minutes.
10. Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes before turning it over on a cake dish.
11. Glaze the cook once it has completely cooled.
12. To make the glaze combine the white chocolate chips and milk in a microwave safe bowl.
13. Microwave until the melted has melted (check after 30 second intervals). If the chocolate mixture seems too thick, add additional milk. I would suggest using 1/2 tbsp. at a time.
14. Stir in the lemon.
15. Pour over the cake.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!