The elegant appearance and delicious taste of an ice box cake leads you to believe it took a long time to prepare. However, this dessert is easy to assemble and there is no baking involved. The ice box cake was first introduced to the United States in the early 1900s. The original ice box cake consists of only two ingredients; chocolate wafers and whipped cream. Another popular variation uses graham crackers and pudding. However, today there are many variations. This recipe uses store bought lady fingers with a delicious cream whipped with ricotta and mascarpone cheeses. The best part about this recipe is it can be prepared a day ahead.
Cannoli Ice Box Cake
60 lady fingers
2 1/2 cups heavy cream
8 oz. mascarpone cheese, softened
7.5 oz. ricotta cheese (most come in a 15 oz. container, I used half)
1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup mini chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
1 cup maraschino cherries
1. Line a 9 inch spring form pan with lady fingers, lining the sides and bottom of the pan and set aside.
2. Drain the cherries and chop into smaller pieces and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream and sugar together until soft peaks form.
4. Add the vanilla and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
5. Fold in the ricotta cheese and the mascarpone cheese. If necessary, drain the ricotta cheese first if watery.
6. Put half of this mixture in a separate bowl.
7. To one cheese mixture add the cherries and chocolate chips. I only had regular chocolate chips and wanted smaller chocolate pieces. I just chopped them in the blender.
8. Pour the cheese, cherry, and chocolate mixture onto the lady fingers in the spring form pan.
9. Cover this cheese with the remaining lady fingers.
10. Cover this layer of lady fingers with the other bowl of the cheese and cream mixture.
11. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!