The following Crème Cheese Brulee is a delicious variation of the French classic; it contains cream cheese, which makes it kind of a cross between a creamy cheesecake and a rich custard pudding. No blow torch is needed to caramelize the topping, however, as it is done in a frying pan and then poured over the unmolded dessert. The topping stays crisp for several hours, so it’s ideal for a dessert at a buffet. It’s extra pretty garnished with fresh mint from the garden and seasonal berries or other fresh fruit.
A bonus to this dessert is that the pudding can be baked up to a week ahead, refrigerated, and unmolded just before serving. The recipe can easily be tripled and baked in a 12-16 cup ring mold or bundt pan to serve a crowd. It’s beautiful, and no one will guess that it was so easy to make.
9 ounces half and half (1 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
1 8 oz. package softened cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup sugar
Fresh berries, and mint sprigs
- Spray a 6 cup ring mold liberally with non-stick spray. Preheat the oven to 350° .
- Place the half and half, cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar, eggs, and vanilla in the blender; blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared ring mold.
- Place the mold in a larger shallow pan and pour about 2 inches of boiling water around the mold.
- Bake the flan 45 minutes to an hour, or until the flan is set.
- Remove from the oven, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until chilled through, up to 1 week.
- Run a knife around the mold to loosen it and let it sit in hot water for a minute or two; unmold by inverting onto a serving platter.
- Place the 1 cup sugar in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- As the edges melt, stir them into the center so that all of the sugar melts.
- When the sugar is melted and golden, pour it over the flan; it will harden.
- Garnish with fresh berries and mint sprigs.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 325 Calories from Fat 135
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 41% Protein 6% Carb. 53%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 15 g
Saturated Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 96 mg
Sodium 113 mg
Total Carbohydrate 43 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 38 g
Protein 5 g
Vitamin A 13% Vitamin C 38% Calcium 0% Iron 4%