Hands-on time to prepare this delicious salad is only 15-20 minutes. The rice noodles require no cooking, just a short water soak. While it takes just minutes to prepare the vegetables, you can skip chopping the carrots since they can be purchased in the produce department already cut into matchstick size pieces. And while you’re at the grocery store, check out the Asian section; Thai fish sauce and rice noodles are usually available there.
If you prefer, you can prepare this salad several hours ahead; the veggies will stay crunchy as long as they are refrigerated, and they’ll absorb more of the Thai flavors. Shredded chicken can easily be substituted for the shrimp; use a rotisserie chicken to save time, or even canned chicken breast. Whatever your choices, Thai Shrimp and Peanut Salad is sure to become a favorite.
4 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice, (about 3 medium limes)
3 tablespoons brown sugar, or palm sugar
2 ounces thin rice noodles (bean threads)
1 medium cucumber
2 cups salad shrimp
2 cups carrots, cut julienne or coarsely grated
2 red chile pepper, finely chopped
2 green onions including tops, sliced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
1/2 cup peanuts, coarsely chopped
- Mix the fish sauce, water, lime juice, and brown sugar in a small bowl; set aside.
- Break the rice noodles into a bowl and cover with water; let soak until very soft. Drain, rinse in cold water, and drain again.
- Peel the cucumber and cut it in half lengthwise. Scoop the seeds out with a spoon, then slice. Transfer the slices to a bowl.
- Rinse the shrimp under cold water, drain well and add to the cucumbers along with the carrots, red chile pepper, green onions, and fresh mint.
- Stir in the soft bean threads and toss with the dressing.
- Cover and refrigerate until serving time.
- Sprinkle with the peanuts and serve.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 216 Calories from Fat 62
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 29% Protein 27% Carb. 45%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 92 mg
Sodium 1343 mg
Total Carbohydrate 24 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 14 g
Vitamin A 215% Vitamin C 24% Calcium 0% Iron 18%