There is no need to feel bad about eating these sweet potato muffins. The dense muffins are rich with vitamins and health benefits. Fiber, Vitamin A & C, and iron are just some of the nutritional benefits in sweet potatoes. Using sweet potatoes is a great way to replace some of the butter or oil in a recipe. The potatoes still keep the muffins delicious, while lowering the calories. That is just the start of the nutritional value. The whole wheat flour in this recipe adds protein and additional fiber. I used semi-sweet chocolate chips because that is what I had available. However, you can add dark chocolate chips for an extra boost of antioxidants.
I have been concentrating on making some of my recipes healthier, especially muffins and breads. Adding vegetables or fruit to a baked treat is such an easy way to get some great benefits. The results are surprisingly delicious. Besides sweet potatoes, applesauce and pumpkin work great in a recipe. Other interesting options are yogurt or bean puree. I have yet to try the bean puree.
Chocolate Chip Sweet Potato Muffin Recipe
Makes 16 muffins
1 cups of all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 cup of sugar
4 teaspoons of cinnamon
2 large sweet potatoes, this will yield 2 cups of mashed sweet potatoes
1/4 cup of canola oil
1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of oatmeal
1. Peel and cook the potatoes in boiling water for about 10 minutes or until tender.
2. Mash with a fork or potato masher.
3. Allow to cool. (You can make these ahead of time)
4. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
5. Line a muffin tin with muffin or cupcake papers.
6. In a small bowl combine the flour and 3 tsp. of the cinnamon and set aside.
7. In a large bowl whisk the sweet potatoes with the oil and egg.
8. Whisk in the sugar.
9. Stir in the flour.
10. Combine the brown sugar, oatmeal, and the remaining tsp. of cinnamon in a small bowl.
11. Sprinkle on the top of each muffin.
12. Add the chips and give a quick stir. Please note that the batter will be very thick.
13. Fill each almost to the top.
14. Bake for about 15 minutes.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!