I keep several cans of chicken on my pantry shelf for occasions like this, but you may prefer to substitute leftover chicken from a previous meal or chop the meat from a store-bought rotisserie chicken to use in this dish. Chicken in your freezer from the Poached Chicken Module is just as fast as the canned chicken. You may also substitute frozen peas for the broccoli.
Although this is a one-dish meal with protein, a starch, and a vegetable (comfort food 101), a tossed or fruit salad goes well if you have either on hand. Or, slice a ripe tomato from your garden. Dinner will be a snap!
Chicken, Broccoli and Pasta Bake
10 ounces pasta, such as fusilli, penne, or bow tie; it can be plain or tricolor
1 10 3/4 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
3/4 cup mayonnaise (light works fine, but don’t substitute non-fat)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 3/4 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
1 12 oz. can cooked chicken breast, drained (or see other options in the paragraphs above)
8 ounces frozen broccoli cuts
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water until al dente. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, whisk the soup, mayonnaise, mustard, and eggs in a large bowl.
- Stir in 1 cup of the cheese, the chicken, and the broccoli.
- Stir in the pasta.
- Transfer the mixture to a 2 quart shallow casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with the additional 3/4 cup cheese, then the breadcrumbs.
- Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 509 Calories from Fat 296
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 58% Protein 19% Carb. 23%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 33 g
Saturated Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 142 mg
Sodium 730 mg
Total Carbohydrate 29 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 24 g
Vitamin A 17% Vitamin C 33% Calcium 0% Iron 14%