If you have a headboard then you may just want to work on creating art above your bed and choosing linens like described later on in this article. But, if you don't have a headboard, here are some ideas to create one or at least the illusion of one:
- Use a paneled door either upright or on its side. Paint or rough it up to give it personality.
- Cut mdf into any shape you want and enhance it with a decorative technique like mosaic or decoupage.
- Cover multiple squares of wood with fabric in several colors, alternating them on the wall to create a pattern.
- Use pretty decorative screens behind the bed.
- Hang an old window. Look for a stained glass window, one framed with mirrored panels or a plain window. Windows with or without the glass works fine for an architectural statement.
- Create a headboard by hanging picket or wrought iron fencing on the wall.
- Line up tall bookcases behind your bed. Fill the nooks with a mix of art, photos and books.
- Simply hang a beautiful large mirror.
- Create a canopy by attaching wooden fixtures to the ceiling and stapling fabric to it that drapes down behind the head of the bed.
- Install metal sheeting behind the bed for a more urban feel.
If your headboard is small or you don't have one at all, use these artistic ideas to create a pretty statement above your bed:
- Hang framed photographs or prints. Mat the frames in colors that coordinate with the rest of the room.
- Display decorative plates or platters. If your room has a floral theme, choose floral plates. For a more retro or modern theme, choose solid colored plates.
- Paint a large piece of canvas in abstract patterns or colors.
- Using a projector, enlarge a flower or other object and paint directly on the wall.
- Install rods above your bed and let several layers of curtains drape down behind the mattress.
- Hang a fabulous piece of 3-d art or sculpture.
- Display pretty empty frames in all shapes and sizes.
- Group a collage of anything you like.
When it comes to bedding think in terms of layers. The advantage to layers is that they provide texture and interest to your bedding while still allowing you to tailor it to any style you want.
- Start with the sheets that are 200 ply or more.
- Add a comforter and dust ruffle.
- Add a throw or quilt folded over the end of the bed.
- Place some throw pillows at the top of the bed.
- Choose coordinating colors in different fabrics for an eye-catching design.