Making and Attaching the Pockets.
- On top (angled) edge of pocket pieces, fold raw edge over toward wrong side 1/4 inch. Turn over again another 1/4 inch and press in place. Trim point so that side edges are even. Fold side and bottom edges over 1/4 inch toward wrong side and press. You will need to fold the point from the top edge down into the side hem as shown in the photo below.
- Sew top hem down close to folded edge of hem and then edge-stitch near top edge of pocket.
- The pockets are placed on the apron so that the bottom edge is 9 1/2 inches from the bottom of the apron and 2 1/2 inches from the side of the apron with the taller point facing toward the middle of the apron. I happen to have a 9 1/2 inch square ruler which made placing the pockets very easy, as seen in the image below. Pin both pockets in place and stitch in place, close to the folded edge, then top-stitch 1/4 inch away from edge of pocket.
Making Apron Ties and Finishing Apron.
- Sew the strips together to make one long strip using 1/4 inch seam allowance. Press seams open.
- Fold pieced strip together lengthwise, right sides together. Using a 1/4 inch seam allowance, sew seam along one short end and along the long edge, folding the edges of the open end back 1/4" just before sewing (this way, the raw edges of the tube are already turned inside and ready to stitch closed). Turn tube right side out and press the tie flat. Sew open end closed. Finish the apron tie by edge-stitching along both edges.
- Insert one end of the apron tie into one of the side casings starting at the top of the apron and pull through. Repeat on the other side until the ties are even.
To wear the apron, pull the neck loop over your head and pull up on the apron ties until the top of the apron is where you want it and then tie the apron in place.
I hope you enjoyed the tutorial. If you make an apron, please send me a picture and I will set up a photo group on Flickr!