Granitas and Sorbets are very similar; they are both made with juice (usually fruit, but sometimes coffee and other liquids), sugar, and water. The biggest difference is the method of freezing. A Granita is usually coarser than sorbet Ė more like shaved ice. Both are usually fat-free and low in calories; this watermelon version is only 68 calories with no fat.
This recipe, which consists of only three ingredients can be made either as a granita, by freezing in a shallow dish and then shaved, beaten in a mixer, or pulsed in a food processor; it can also be poured into an automatic ice cream maker and frozen, resulting in a smooth sorbet. Either method is delicious and refreshing; the sorbet, made in the ice cream maker is quickest, but the granita has an interesting texture and is similar to a slush Ė it is worth the extra time.
8 1/2 cup Servings
1/2 small watermelon
1/4 cup sugar
1 6 oz. can lemonade concentrate
Fresh mint (optional) for garnish
- Scoop the pulp from the watermelon into a blender or food processor.
- Process, pulsing, until the watermelon is smooth. (The seeds miraculously go to the top and donít seem to get caught up in the blades).
- Pour the mixture into a fine strainer that is set over a bowl and press the pulp through.
- Discard the seeds.
- Measure about 4 cups watermelon pulp with juice.
- Add the sugar and lemonade concentrate.
- Taste the mixture Ė if the watermelon isnít sweet, you may need to add a little more sugar.
- For Sorbet: Pour the mixture into an automatic ice cream machine and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
- For Granita: Pour the mixture into a 9 x 13" glass dish and freeze.
- Once frozen, place chunks of it in batches in the food processor and process until smooth, or simply shave into a serving container. It can also be placed in chunks in a mixer and beaten.
- For Both Methods: Place the frozen mixture in an airtight freezer container and freeze until serving.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 68 Calories from Fat 0
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 0% Protein 1% Carb. 99%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 0 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1 mg
Total Carbohydrate 17 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 6 g
Protein 0 g
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 8% Calcium 0% Iron 1%