Ingredients and Instructions (serves 4):
- 1 pumpkin, about 1 pound/500 g of weight
- 1 /2 onion
- 4 tablespoons of oil
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- 1 and 1/2 cups/300 g of Arborio or Carnaroli rice
- 1 quart/1 liter of good unsalted beef stock
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated Parmigiano cheese
- Wash the pumpkin, peel it, cut it in half, remove the seed and membrane, then cut it in small dices, about 1/2 inch (1.5 cm) thick.
- Warm up the beef stock in a pot and get it ready to use.
- Meanwhile, chop the onion very finely, heat the oil in a large, heavy pan and sauté the onion and the pumpkin over low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon or spatula. Add a little broth as needed to keep the pumpkin moist while cooking.
- When the pumpkins is tender, add the rice, a pinch of salt and cook for a few minutes while stirring –gently and constantly – until the rice absorbs all the moisture in the pan and the grains become translucent with just a small white spot in the center.
- Add the wine, 1 cup of stock and cook until absorbed. Continue cooking the risotto by adding 1 cup of stock at the time (make sure is very hot) and letting the rice absorb all the moisture before adding the next one; continue stirring the rice often but gently while it cooks, to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan. .
- When the rice is almost done (this should take about 15 minutes, but check often after the first 10) add salt to taste and a little pepper if desired.
- Remove from the heat, add the butter and the grated Parmesan cheese, stirring and mixing once more. The consistency of risotto should be creamy but the grains not very soft.
- Serve at once bringing more cheese to the table.
Wine pairing note: The delicate but still rich pumpkin risotto goes well with a nice, crisp white wine, like a Chardonnay, but also with a nice sparkling wine – not sweet – like a Prosecco.
Simple Delicious Italian Recipe is the perfect cookbook for any Italian food lover.
Buy and download your copy today from the BellaOnline eBook page.