End of summer means trying to find new ways to use zucchini from the garden. Mint is just as prolific, if not more so; I use it extensively as a garnish on desserts, to line baskets to fill with fruit, and in our favorite summer beverage, Tart and Sweet Mint Cooler, but mint also adds a nice flavor when chopped and added to salads. Grape tomatoes add color and sweetness; you can also use chopped tomatoes from the garden.
Thinly sliced zucchini takes on a new personality when briefly marinated in vinaigrette; you’ll love the change from cooked zucchini dishes. Chicken and Zucchini Salad is delicious and will become a quick and easy family favorite.
Chicken & Zucchini Salad
2 tablespoons red onions, chopped
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup vegetable oil
2 pounds zucchini, very thinly sliced
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
1/4 cup fresh mint, (loosely packed) coarsely chopped
1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves, (about 4)
seasoning salt, such as lemon pepper (your favorite), to taste
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 cups gourmet salad mix
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup walnut(s), coarsely broken
- Dressing: In blender container process the 2 tablespoons red onion and the vinegar until the onion is finely chopped.
- Add the mustard, sugar, salt, and pepper and process until well-mixed.
- Turn the blender on low and gradually pour in the oil
- Continue blending until the dressing is thickened.
- Mix the zucchini, tomatoes, and mint in a large bowl
- Add 1/2 cup of the dressing and toss to mix.
- Let the zucchini mixture marinate while preparing the chicken.
- Cut off any fat or veins from the chicken breasts; sprinkle with seasoning salt.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet
- Add the chicken breasts and sauté over medium heat until just cooked through.
- Remove from heat, slice thinly, and add to the zucchini mixture.
- Add the remaining ingredients and toss, using more dressing as needed.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 375 Calories from Fat 247
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 66% Protein 27% Carb. 7%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 27 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 62 mg
Sodium 485 mg
Total Carbohydrate 7 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 25 g
Vitamin A 14% Vitamin C 32% Calcium 0% Iron 9%