Cherry Zucchini Muffins are real old fashioned muffins, and not only contain zucchini which is rich in folic acid, potassium, vitamin A, and manganese, they are made with part whole wheat flour which contributes to the daily fiber needed for a healthy diet. The sugar and fat content of these muffins is about half what the commercial so-called muffins contain, so even though they are absolutely delicious, they are also quite healthy.
If you’re looking for a new way to use up the profusion of zucchini growing in the garden and piling up in the fridge and on the kitchen counters, why not try these mouth-watering muffins for breakfast this weekend. The batter goes together quickly, and if you have a 1/4 cup size scoop, filling the muffin pans takes only a couple of minutes. Make sure you have plenty of real butter on hand, and serve them piping hot (so much for the lower fat content!).
Cherry Zucchini Muffins
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups grated zucchini
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup dried cherries
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Mix the sugar, eggs, oil, milk, and almond extract in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the zucchini and mix well.
- Stir in the whole wheat and all-purpose flours, baking powder, salt, and almond extract.
- Stir just until mixed, then fold in the cherries. Do not overmix.
- Spray a 12 cup muffin pan and a 6 cup muffin pan generously with non-stick spray.
- Scoop (1/4" size scoop) or drop the batter into the greased muffin cups.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let the muffins sit for 5 minutes, then run a knife around each of the muffins and remove from pans.
- Serve warm with butter.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 158 Calories from Fat 46
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 29% Protein 8% Carb. 63%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 25 mg
Sodium 136 mg
Total Carbohydrate 25 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 11 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 2% Calcium 0% Iron 3%