The only thing that takes any preparation time in this cobbler is peeling and cutting the peaches. To peel peaches quickly, place them in a large pan of boiling water for one minute, then plunge them into a bowl of cold water; the skins will slip off easily.
The biscuits topping the peaches are coated in butter, then rolled in a mixture of sugar with cinnamon and freshly grated nutmeg. Ground nutmeg loses its flavor very quickly (long before it arrives on the grocer’s shelves and is purchased by you), so it’s a good idea to grate it just as you’re ready to use it. Grating whole nutmeg is very quick – actually faster than finding the jar of tasteless already ground nutmeg on the shelf and measuring - but the taste is incomparable. Whole nutmeg is available at most grocery stores in the spice aisle. Keep a Microplane or a nutmeg grater in your utensil drawer and adding nutmeg to dishes will be a snap.
2 pounds fresh peaches, (5-6 medium)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup butter
1 package (7.5 ounce - 10 biscuits) refrigerated biscuits
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; place the peaches in the boiling water for 1 minute, then transfer them to a bowl of cold water. Slip off the skins, pit, and cut into 1/2" chunks.
- Toss the peaches in a large bowl with the lemon juice then sprinkle with the sugar and flour; toss well.
- Transfer the mixture to a shallow glass 8 x 11 inch baking dish.
- Mix the sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Melt the butter in a small bowl.
- Dip each biscuit into the butter, then coat with the sugar mixture and arrange on top of the peaches.
- Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 25-35 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 229 Calories from Fat 60
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 26% Protein 2% Carb. 72%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 16 mg
Sodium 90 mg
Total Carbohydrate 41 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 25 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 17% Vitamin C 14% Calcium 0% Iron 2%
Purchase a Microplane from Amazon
Purchase a Norpro Nutmeg Grater from Amazon
Purchase a Fox Run Nutmeg Grater from Amazon
Purchase a Home Naturals Nutmeg Grater from Amazon