The buttery crust goes together very quickly; it’s just a cake mix and butter. The peaches can be peeled quickly by placing them in boiling water for one minute, then plunging them in a bowl of cold water. Then all that’s left is to whisk together four simple ingredients for the topping, which is flavored with freshly grated nutmeg.
When the peaches are gone, you’ll want to make this dessert with other fruit: raspberries, blueberries, or apples, depending on the season. It’ll become a favorite with family members and guests alike.
Fresh Peach & Sour Cream Squares
1 1/2 sticks butter
1 18.5 ounce package yellow cake Mix
2 pounds fresh peaches, (5-6 medium)
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups sour cream
1/4 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- Place the butter in a shallow 13 x 9" glass baking dish, then place it in the oven.
- Turn the oven to 350°.
- When the butter has melted, remove the dish from the oven and mix the cake mix with the butter; press the mixture evenly in the glass baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; place the peaches in the boiling water for 1 minute, then transfer them to a bowl of cold water. Slip off the skins, pit, and slice the peaches.
- Arrange the peach slices on the cake mix and butter mixture.
- Whisk together the sour cream, sugar, egg yolks, and nutmeg; spread the mixture evenly over the peaches.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until set.
- Serve warm, cold, or at room temperature.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 372 Calories from Fat 136
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 36% Protein 3% Carb. 61%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 15 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 70 mg
Sodium 303 mg
Total Carbohydrate 57 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 32 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 14% Vitamin C 9% Calcium 0% Iron 1%