The gingerbread flavored coating is cooked quickly in the microwave; no stirring on the stove; no scorching; no boiling over! Once the popcorn is coated, it bakes in a slow oven and is stirred every 15 minutes or so until it is crisp and crunchy. How easy is that?
You’ll want to sample a handful (or two) before sending it out to friends; it’ll be especially good with a warm cup of gingerbread tea.
Crisp & Crunchy Gingerbread Popcorn
24 Servings (about 3/4 cup each)
15 cups plain popcorn, preferably air-popped without oil
1 cup butter
2 cups packed brown sugar
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Spray 2 13 x 9" pans with non-stick spray.
- Measure 7 1/2 cups of the popcorn into each pan.
- Mix together butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, molasses, salt, ginger, and cinnamon in a large microwaveable bowl (I use my Pyrex 8 cup glass measuring cup).
- Heat on high power for 3 minutes; stir until smooth with a heatproof silicone scraper.
- Return the mixture to the microwave and cook 3 more minutes or until boiling.
- Stir until smooth, then microwave an additional minute.
- Stir in the baking soda; the mixture will foam up.
- Pour half of the mixture over each pan of popped corn in the prepared pans and mix thoroughly.
- Bake both pans at 250° for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes, until the popcorn is glazed and crisp.
- Cool completely, then store in airtight containers.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 140 Calories from Fat 71
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 50% Protein 1% Carb. 48%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 21 mg
Sodium 153 mg
Total Carbohydrate 17 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 6% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 6%