According to Grandma, the key to perfect English Toffee is to use real butter. Itís also essential to cook it in a heavy pan and use a reliable candy thermometer. I like to use a heat-proof silicone spatula to stir the toffee rather than a metal or wooden spoon; itís much easier to clean, and itís a good idea to have a cup of water with a pastry brush next to the stove to wash down any sugar crystals that accumulate on the sides of the pan.
Grandma Burgieís Famous English Toffee
Makes about 48 pieces
1 pound butter, (no subs)
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 cup whole almonds, finely chopped (or substitute pecans or walnuts)
3 cups highest quality semi-sweet chocolate chips (you may substitute milk chocolate chips)ground in a food processor, or finely chopped
- In a large heavy saucepan stir together the butter, sugar, water, and corn syrup.
- Cover the pan and bring to a boil over medium heat (covering the pan creates steam which prevents sugar crystals from forming).
- When the mixture boils, remove the lid, stir the mixture, and wash down the sides of the pan.
- Continue boiling over medium heat, stirring occasionally, and washing down the sides periodically to prevent sugar crystals.
- As soon as the candy starts to thicken and is near the hard crack stage, stir constantly to prevent burning.
- Cook the candy to hard crack stage (300į).
- While the candy is cooking, butter an 11 x 17Ē jellyroll pan; sprinkle half of the nuts evenly over the bottom, then half of the chocolate over the nuts.
- When the candy is ready, pour it over the chocolate and nuts on the jelly roll pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining chocolate evenly over the hot candy; use an offset spatula to spread it evenly
- Spread the nuts evenly over the chocolate
- Let the mixture cool thoroughly, then break into pieces.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 160 Calories from Fat 96
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 60% Protein 3% Carb. 38%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 11 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 22 mg
Sodium 84 mg
Total Carbohydrate 15 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 6% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%