One of the best things about cake mixes is that with a few add-ins, you can vary the flavor to suit anyone’s tastes. You can bake two different flavors for your centerpiece, or bake two of the same – it’s your choice. Try these shortcut cakes with fall flavors; they’re delicious.
Another time-saver is to use Baker’s Joy, available at most grocery stores in the aisle near the non-stick spray and the shortening. Baker’s Joy can be sprayed inside the bundt pan and will coat even the hardest to-get areas to insure that there is no sticking.
If you like, you can use black decorating gel to make your cake into a Jack-O-Lantern. Just make the shapes with a toothpick on the surface of the cake and squeeze the gel to fill them in.
Pumpkin Centerpiece Cake
2 16 oz. cans vanilla frosting
Orange paste food coloring
Green paste food coloring
Black gel food coloring to make a Jack-O-Lantern Face (optional)
1 plain ice cream cone cup
2 Bundt Cakes (unfrosted) any flavor
- Measure 3/4 cup frosting from one of the cans; tint it bright green by stirring in green food coloring; tint the remaining frosting orange.
- Place one of the bundt cakes upside down (curved side on the serving platter - flat side up) onto a serving platter.
- Spread a thin layer of orange frosting over the top of the cake and place the second cake (flat side down) on top of the first.
- Frost the cake with the orange frosting, smoothing it out.
- With a skewer or toothpick, make lines down the sides of the cake to resemble a pumpkin.
- Frost the ice cream cone cup with green frosting and place it inside the hole of the bundt cake - wide side down; this will resemble a stem.
- If making a Jack-o-lantern, draw a jack-o-lantern face with a toothpick on the front of the cake; fill it in with the black gel.
- Transfer the green frosting to a decorating bag with a small plain tip and pipe lines to resemble stems over the top of the cake.
- Place a leaf tip on the bag and pipe leaves decoratively.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 327 Calories from Fat 109
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 33% Protein 6% Carb. 61%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 12 g
Saturated Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 64 mg
Sodium 304 mg
Total Carbohydrate 50 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 20 g
Protein 5 g
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 0%
Purchase a Nordic 12 Cup Bundt Pan from Amazon
Purchase a Cuisinart 9 1/2 inch Bundt Pan from Amazon