Scripture says, ďDo not worry about your lifeÖ Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your Heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they are?Ē Matthew 6:25-26 I know that I am valuable in His eyes and I know that His words are true.
ďWho of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?Ē Matthew 6:27
I know that worry is useless, but it creeps in when Iím not paying attention.
So, while trusting my Heavenly Father and His wisdom, I can take a few positive steps to help in this financial crisis.
First, if I look at the back of my Bible, at the Index of Subjects, I will find the word, money. Iíll meditate on some of the scripture references concerning it. I will pray and ask God to give me His perspective on my financial worries.
- Where do I want to go in my life? I will write down my short term goals as well as long term. What are my plans for the future? Do I want to be debt free or at least cut out a significant number of debts?
- To get an idea of where my money is going, Iíll sit down and study my check register and charge card statements. This will give me a clearer picture of where I spend money so that I can decide where I can cut spending.
- When shopping, Iíll remember my goals. Will a particular purchase help to get me where I want to go? Is it taking funds away from another, more important, item?
- When contemplating big purchases, Iíll walk away to gain perspective. Iíll wait 24 hours. During that time, I will pray about the purchase.
- I always carry my charge card with me. It is my security blanket. To get control of impulse spending, Iíll leave it at home.
- To save on my food bills, Iíll eat less fast food. I will prepare meals and we will eat as a family, at home. To lessen the work load, Iíll involve all family members in the preparation of meals.
Blessing comes from hardship. Iíll draw closer to God through seeking His will. We will draw closer as a family while working together through a financial crisis.
Walking With Women of the Bible
E-Book by Lynne Chapman
Join me in getting to know some amazing women of the Bible
while we extract valuable insights and lessons from their lives.