I like to mold this dessert in either 2 regular-size loaf pans or one long giant one, but it can also be made in a tube pan. If you like, you can also make it in a 9 x 13” glass casserole dish and serve it cut in squares. For individual servings, spoon the lemon mixture into goblets.
1 13-16 ounce angel food cake
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
2 eggs, separated
1 3 oz. package lemon gelatin
1 cup lemon juice
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 cups sweetened whipped cream
- Cut the angel food cake into 1/2-1” cubes; place in a large bowl and set aside.
- Whisk together the sugar, milk, and egg yolks in a microwaveable container.
- Microwave 2 minutes; whisk until smooth.
- Return the mixture to the microwave and cook an additional 1-3 minutes or until boiling.
- Whisk in the gelatin and lemon juice.
- Stir until the gelatin has completely dissolved.
- Place the mixture in the fridge or freezer until cool, but not cold.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, but not dry.
- In a separate bowl, beat the whipping cream to stiff peaks.
- Fold both the egg whites and the whipped cream into the lemon mixture.
- Pour the mixture over the angel food cake cubes.
- Spray two loaf pans with non-stick spray and line with plastic wrap.
- Pour the lemon mixture into the pans.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set, several hours or overnight.
- Unmold onto a serving tray.
- Pipe sweetened whipped cream around the bottom and decoratively on top.
- Slice to serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 376 Calories from Fat 166
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 44% Protein 6% Carb. 50%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 18 g
Saturated Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 100 mg
Sodium 158 mg
Total Carbohydrate 47 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 17 g
Protein 6 g
Vitamin A 15% Vitamin C 17% Calcium 0% Iron 3%