Since this is perfect for serving at a holiday brunch, Iíve added red and green peppers to make it look festive; if youíre a purist, or arenít making this around the holidays, you can leave these out. Youíll find that this is an easy dish to prepare on a lazy weekend when you arenít in the mood to spend time in the kitchen; you can relax and read the paper while itís baking.
Holiday Sausage Biscuit Bake
1 pound bulk pork sausage, mild or hot according to taste
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons dehydrated onion flakes
1/2 cup diced red bell peppers
1/2 cup diced green bell peppers
2 1/2 cups basic Cream Soup Mix
5 1/2 cups water
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon crushed chili pepper, (optional)
12 Frozen Southern Style Biscuits
- Brown the sausage over medium heat, stirring and breaking it up into small pieces. If there is a large amount of fat, pour it off.
- Stir in the flour until it absorbs any residual fat.
- Stir in the onion flakes, red and green bell peppers, soup mix, water, black pepper, and chili pepper if using.
- Continue stirring over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil and is slightly thickened.
- Pour into a 3 quart shallow casserole dish.
- Arrange the biscuits on top of the sausage mixture very close together.
Bake in a preheated 350į oven for 55-60 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown and cooked through.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 415 Calories from Fat 212
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 51% Protein 15% Carb. 34%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 24 g
Saturated Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 41 mg
Sodium 1139 mg
Total Carbohydrate 35 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 2 g
Protein 15 g
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 21% Calcium 0% Iron 2%