This recipe makes a nice presentation when itís baked in a squash shell, but if your shell doesnít hold up during the initial cooking, itís equally good baked in a casserole dish. Since the initial cooking of the squash is done in the microwave, itís really quick. Once the squash is cooked, itís scooped out of the shell and mixed with a few other ingredients. It can then be refrigerated for up to two days before the final baking, which is a great help to anyone preparing lots of dishes for Thanksgiving dinner.
Fast & Easy Winter Squash Bake
2 pounds acorn squash, or other winter squash such as delicata, sweet dumpling, carnival, or butternut
6 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 egg yolks
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds.
- Cover each half tightly with plastic wrap and microwave 12-15 minutes, or until soft.
- While the squash is cooking, melt 3 tablespoons butter in a skillet.
- Add the onion and cook until it is limp.
- Transfer the onion to a mixer bowl.
- Carefully (itís hot!) scrape the cooked squash into the mixer bowl along with 2 tablespoons of the parsley, oregano, salt, pepper, egg yolks, and heavy cream.
- Beat until well mixed; add 1/3 cup of the Parmesan cheese and stir.
- Taste for seasoning and add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the mixture to one of the squash shells, place in a baking dish, and sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese. If your squash shells don't look that good, you can place the mixture into a lightly buttered shallow 1 quart casserole dish.
- The squash can be prepared up to this point 1-2 days ahead; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Bake the squash in a preheated 375į oven 20-30 minutes until the squash is puffed and the Parmesan cheese is bubbly.
- Sprinkle with the remaining parsley.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 281 Calories from Fat 185
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 66% Protein 8% Carb. 26%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 21 g
Saturated Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 124 mg
Sodium 659 mg
Total Carbohydrate 18 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 6 g
Vitamin A 28% Vitamin C 32% Calcium 0% Iron 9%