For those who plan to be busy on Thanksgiving day, this casserole may be prepared up to two days ahead and refrigerated; to keep the bread crumb topping crisp, don’t sprinkle it on until just ready to bake.
Shortcut Creamed Onions
3 large onions, peeled, quartered, and sliced (6-8 cups)
1/2 cup water
3 cups water
1 3/4 cups basic Cream Soup Mix
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
6 drops Tabasco pepper sauce
2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup dry bread crumbs
- Place the onions and 1/2 cup water in a large microwaveable container, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave for 8-10 minutes or until the onions are tender.
- Whisk together the 3 cups water, Basic Cream Soup Mix, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco pepper sauce.
- Microwave 3 minutes, whisk until smooth, then microwave until bubbly and thickened, 4-6 additional minutes.
- Stir in the onions (with cooking liquid) and the Swiss cheese.
- Pour the mixture into a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Microwave the butter 20-30 seconds until melted; mix in the bread crumbs and spread them evenly over the onion mixture.
- Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.
Note: This dish can be prepared up to 2 days in advance and refrigerated. Store the buttered bread crumbs in a plastic bag and sprinkle them on the casserole just before baking.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 380 Calories from Fat 180
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 48% Protein 18% Carb. 34%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 20 g
Saturated Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 60 mg
Sodium 490 mg
Total Carbohydrate 32 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 18 g
Vitamin A 8% Vitamin C 12% Calcium 0% Iron 5%