Since my official tasters happen to include my grandchildren, I learned that even kids like this dish; it’s a good way to get them to willingly eat their vegetables.
3/4 pound carrots, peeled and sliced (2 1/2 to 3 cups) (or just use packaged baby carrots--no need to peel or slice)
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons dehydrated onion flakes
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 tablespoon orange juice concentrate
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
Fresh parsley, for garnish, (optional)
- Butter a 2 quart casserole dish and preheat the oven to 350°.
- Place the carrots and water in a glass dish, cover with plastic wrap and microwave 8 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
- Drain the carrots, reserving the cooking liquid, and place them in the food processor.
- Process until the carrots are finely chopped.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the cooking liquid, the dehydrated onion flakes, butter, salt, pepper, nutmeg, orange juice concentrate, sugar, flour, and eggs; process until smooth.
- Add the milk and pulse a few times until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Sprinkle with parsley, if using, and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 150 Calories from Fat 79
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 53% Protein 11% Carb. 36%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 9 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 99 mg
Sodium 331 mg
Total Carbohydrate 14 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 5 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 247% Vitamin C 13% Calcium 0% Iron 3%