The dressing is made with cranberry vinegar, which is quickly and easily made at home; if you dont have time to make it, you may substitute raspberry vinegar.
Holiday Fruit and Lettuce Salad
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup sliced or slivered almonds, pecans, or walnuts
1/2 cup salad oil
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cranberry or raspberry vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
Dash hot pepper sauce
Dash freshly ground black pepper
2 heads romaine lettuce
6 cups gourmet salad mix
1 red apple, cored and cut into 1/2" chunks
1 green apple, cored and cut into 1/2" chunks
1 pear, peeled and cored and cut into 1/2" chunks
1 pomegranate, seeds separated, or 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Pour the 1/3 cup sugar in a large flat-bottomed frying pan. Turn the heat to high, and when the sugar around the edges begins to melt, stir with a heatproof scraper until all the sugar is melted and golden.
- Add the nuts, stir to coat, then pour out on a parchment lined baking sheet, spreading as much as possible.
- When cool, coarsely chop.
- Mix the dressing ingredients in food processor or blender; set aside.
- Wash the romaine lettuce, cut or tear into bite-sized pieces, and place in a salad spinner with the gourmet salad mix.
- Spin until all moisture has been removed; add them to a large salad bowl
- Mix the apples and pears, pour a few tablespoons of the dressing on them, and toss (to prevent them from turning brown).
- Add the pomegranate seeds and sugared nuts to the lettuce.
- Toss well with the remaining dressing and serve immediately.
Note: To easily extract the pomegranate seeds without squirting juice all over the kitchen and your clothing, make two cuts just through the skin around the pomegranate.
Place the pomegranate in a large container of cold water, and pull it apart under the water. Take each of the quarters and pull out the seeds under the water, discarding the pith and skin.
Pour the seeds into a strainer; rinse.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 234 Calories from Fat 137
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 58% Protein 4% Carb. 38%
Nutrient Amount per % Daily
Total Fat 15 g 23%
Saturated Fat 2 g 10%
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 99 mg 4%
Total Carbohydrate 22 g 7%
Dietary Fiber 1 g 4%
Sugars 0 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 5% Calcium 0% Iron 3%