The first Red Nose Day was held in 1988 by a charitable organization called Comic Relief; since then, the celebration has been held every two years and has raised millions of pounds and helped millions of people in the fight against poverty in the UK and Africa. Sponsors include celebrities and many businesses across the UK.
Whether you live in the UK or elsewhere, its time to put on a red nose, bake up a great English dessert, and help someone less fortunate!
3/4 cup dates, pitted and chopped (6 ounces)
3/4 cup boiling water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons instant coffee
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup sugar
6 tablespoons butter
1 cup self-rising flour, sifted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
6 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 cup milk
5 tablespoons flour
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray a 9 x 13" baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Place the dates in a bowl and pour boiling water over them.
- Add the vanilla, instant coffee, and soda; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the eggs, beating well.
- Stir in the flour, then add the date mixture (including the liquid).
- Spread the mixture evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until the top springs back when touched lightly.
- Pour the topping evenly over the bars.
- Let cool thoroughly.
- Spread with the icing.
- Topping: Mix the brown sugar, butter, and whipping cream; microwave 3-4 minutes , stirring once after 2 minutes, until boiling.
- Stir until the sugar is dissolved; add the chopped pecans and stir.
- Icing: whisk together the milk and flour until smooth; microwave 3-4 minutes, stirring after two minutes, until thick and smooth.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap directly touching the mixture and put it in the fridge until cool (or if in a hurry, the freezer is faster).
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until very light and fluffy; add the vanilla and continue beating until the sugar is dissolved.
- Beat in the flour/milk mixture until smooth.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 289 Calories from Fat 164
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 57% Protein 3% Carb. 40%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 18 g
Saturated Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 63 mg
Sodium 186 mg
Total Carbohydrate 29 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 14 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 13% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 3%