This year, while trying to find new ways to use up the leftovers from Thanksgiving dinner, I tried substituting chunks of turkey breast for the chicken in my easy version of Coronation Chicken; not only was it as good as chicken, it was a great change from warmed up left-overs. Since the sauce is the star of this dish, there is more of it than I would regularly use in a sandwich filling. That’s as it should be- when you taste it, you’ll want to savor every bit. Just a note: to be perfectly proper when using up your leftover turkey instead of chicken, you’ll need to refer to this dish as Coronation Turkey.
Coronation Chicken (Turkey) is best served on freshly baked French rolls or baguette slices, but can also be scooped and served on a lettuce leaf as a salad or as a topping on a baked potato.
Coronation Chicken (or Turkey)
Makes enough filling for 6-8 sandwiches
1/3 cup sour cream
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Mild Indian Curry Paste, or substitute Madras Curry Powder
1 tablespoon apricot preserves
1 teaspoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon dehydrated onion flakes
3 cups cooked chicken breast, diced, or substitute turkey breast
2 tablespoons golden raisins
1/4 cup mango chutney
- Place the sour cream, mayonnaise, curry paste, apricot preserves, tomato paste, and onion flakes in a blender container; process until smooth, scraping the sides at least once.
- If you prefer a chunkier filling, you can just whisk the ingredients together.
- Mix the chicken breast, golden raisins, and mango chutney in a small bowl.
- Stir in the mayonnaise mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to blend (this isn’t absolutely necessary, especially if you’re in a hurry – it’s just a little better if the flavors have a chance to blend).
Amount Per Serving
Calories 259 Calories from Fat 187
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 72% Protein 13% Carb. 15%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 21 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 34 mg
Sodium 233 mg
Total Carbohydrate 10 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g Sugars 0 g
Protein 8 g
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 2% Calcium 0% Iron 3%