FRENCH DIP SANDWICH
2 large onions, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 pound beef rump roast
12 ounces can beer
1 package dry onion soup mix
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
12 rolls (Split Potato or French rolls)
In a skillet, saut頴he onions in butter until tender. Place in a crock pot. Cut the roast in half and place over the onions.
Combine beer, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, soup mix, dry mustard, paprika, and garlic; pour over the roast. Cover and cook on low for 8 10 hours.
Remove roast with a slotted spoon and let stand for 15 minutes. Thinly slice the meat. Place on rolls and sprinkle with the shredded Swiss cheese.
Broil 4 inches from the heat for about 1 minute, or until the cheese is melted. Pot liquor or jus makes an excellent dip.
Substitution: Substitute 12 ounces beer for 8 ounces white wine
For those looking for a meatless alternative to this classic sandwich, there is one! It is a fresh, hearty and delicious vegetarian recipe that I like to have with a hearty, vegetarian French Onion soup or the au jus recipe that comes with it. Dipping into a spicy broth is comfort that everyone can share.
VEGETARIAN FRENCH DIP
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 medium bell green pepper, sliced into strips
1/2 medium yellow onion, sliced into strips
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons green onion, chopped
2/3 cup pecans, chopped
8 ounces seitan, thinly sliced
Mozzarella or cheddar cheese, grated
2 French or potato rolls
Vegetarian Au Jus
2 cups vegetable stock, unsalted
1-2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (be sure it?s vegetarian)
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon rosemary
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat olive oil in over medium heat. Saute green pepper, garlic and yellow onion, stir gently, until just tender.
2. Move bell pepper and onion to the side and add seitan slices to the pan. Brown both sides of seitan. Remove from heat, add in pecans and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover until ready to serve.
3. Make au jus: Place all ingredients in a small pot and heat, whisking occasionally, until hot. Top with green onions and remove from heat to serving dishes or bowls.
4. Halve French or potato roll. Add seitan slices, followed by the pepper/onion mix. Top with grated cheese. Cover with second half of the roll.
5. Serve bowls of au jus on plate with sandwich.
Variation: Broil for 1 minute or until cheese melts and bubbles.
Substitution: For flavor, substitute 1/2 cup vegetable stock with 1/2 cup white wine.