If you’re worried about tears from peeling and slicing all those onions, try wearing sunglasses. My kids say I look like a real geek when I wear sunglasses in the kitchen, but it works – try it.
Caramelized Onions in the Slow Cooker
Makes about 4 cups
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
10 to 12 cups sliced onions
1 teaspoon salt
- Pour the olive oil in the bottom of a 4-6 quart slow cooker; add the butter, put on the lid, and turn to high.
- When the butter is melted, toss in the onions.
- Cover and cook 3 hours.
- After 3 hours, there will be liquid in the bottom of the slow cooker; stir the onions well, add the salt, then tilt the lid slightly so that the liquid will evaporate while the onions cook.
- Continue to cook 8-10 hours on high, stirring occasionally if you think of it (not absolutely necessary), until the onions are caramelized and almost all of the liquid has evaporated.
- Cool and transfer to freezer bags to be used in your favorite recipes.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 95 Calories from Fat 42
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 45% Protein 7% Carb. 49%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 5 mg
Sodium 217 mg
Total Carbohydrate 12 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 14% Calcium 0% Iron 2%