This cheese spread is good any time of the year as an upscale appetizer for any type of party. Hungry armchair quarterbacks will appreciate this substantial snack on Superbowl Sunday, or it can be made into a cute Christmas tree cheeseball to serve at a holiday buffet. If you prefer a round cheeseball, it can also be made to resemble a Christmas ornament.
Greek Spinach & Red Pepper Spread
1 10 oz. package spinach, thawed
2 8 oz. packages softened cream cheese
8 ounces softened feta cheese
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup sweet marinated red peppers, (7 ounce jar) well drained and chopped
- Place the spinach in a fine strainer and, with the back of a wooden spoon, press as much of the liquid out as possible; set aside.
- Mix the cream cheese, feta cheese, garlic, oregano, and lemon juice until smooth.
- Stir in the toasted walnuts and marinated red peppers.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- For a Christmas Tree: Do not chop the red peppers or add them to the cheese mixture; cut them with a small canapé cutter into circles. Transfer the cheese mixture to a serving platter and, using a piece of plastic wrap, shape into a tree. Arrange the red pepper circles decoratively on the tree. Add a pretzel log for the tree trunk.
For a Christmas Ornament: Chop the red peppers, but do not add them to the cheese mixture. Line a small rounded bowl with plastic wrap and place 1/3 of the mixture in the bottom; top with a layer of red peppers. Add 1/2 of the remaining cheese mixture and press down. Add another layer of peppers then top with the remaining cheese mixture. Press down, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 115 Calories from Fat 92
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 80% Protein 12% Carb. 8%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 29 mg
Sodium 186 mg
Total Carbohydrate 2 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 22% Vitamin C 7% Calcium 0% Iron 4%