The Southwestern USA is known for its unique people and cultures, but most of all it's known for its wonderful food.
One of the most popular and versatile meal choices you can make is the Southwestern Wrap.
photo credit: dragontomato
Wraps are low in carbohydrates, high in fiber, and they can be made from a wide variety of your favorite foods. Wraps are also known for their portability - great for those meals on the go! In just a few minutes, you can enjoy a taste of the Southwestern USA right in your own home by following these simple steps:
1. Chose 12" tortilla wraps which come in a variety of flavors from whole wheat to tomato or spinach.
2. Pick a protein you like. Some favorites are turkey, bacon, sausage, chicken or beef.
3. Find a veggie to add color, vitamins and flavor to your wrap. Peppers and chopped tomatoes are always a great choice. Avocado is also nice. Onions and hot peppers add extra flavor and spice.
4. Open a small can of black or pinto beans.
5. Add grated cheese and seasoning.
Generally, you should start by cooking the meat and seasoning it to taste.
Common seasonings include cumin, ground red pepper and chili powder.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place your tortilla wrap one side down, add above ingredients along the center of the wrap and fold in thirds with the folded side up.
Place the wrap on a cookie sheet and place in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes. When you take it out of the oven, let it cool for a couple of minutes before eating.
You can add cilantro or lettuce if you wish. Place on a plate with your favorite dressing, salsa, guacamole, or sour cream and enjoy!