This Cheezy Mexican Egg Bake is very quick to put together, and is perfect for a weekend brunch on Cinco de Mayo or any day that you want a good brunch casserole. To save time, you can purchase ham already chopped. For a change, you can substitute crisp crumbled bacon or well-drained cooked chorizo for the ham, or even cooked and drained spicy breakfast sausage.
If you aren't celebrating Cinco de Mayo, you can still serve this delicious casserole; it's great anytime. Since it takes so little time to put together, you'll want to make it often.
Cheezy Mexican Brunch Bake
6 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 4 oz. can chopped mild green chilies
2 cups cottage cheese
1/2 pound lean ham , diced (about 1 3/4 cups)
5 cups cheddar jack cheese, divided
2 cups medium salsa
- Place the butter in a shallow 9 x 13" baking dish .
- Set the oven to 350° and put the pan in to melt the butter while the oven heats; remove from the oven as soon as the butter is melted.
- Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a blender container; add the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Blend until smooth, scraping the sides down at least once.
- Stir in the green chilies, cottage cheese, ham, and 4 cups of the cheddar jack cheese.
- Place the casserole in the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven; spread the salsa over the top, and sprinkle the remaining 1 cup cheese on top.
- Return the casserole to the oven and bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the center is set.
- Serve immediately with warm flour tortillas.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 406 Calories from Fat 263
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 65% Protein 26% Carb. 9%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 29 g
Saturated Fat 16 g
Cholesterol 290 mg
Sodium 1157 mg
Total Carbohydrate 9 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 26 g
Vitamin A 27% Vitamin C 20% Calcium 0% Iron 8%