These delicious no-bake cookies resemble groundhogs (if you use your imagination, of course). They are very quick and easy, contain common ingredients that are probably on your shelves now, and are no-bake – what could be faster. If you have kids, they are easy enough for them to make by themselves. The kids will want to make them other times of the year, and if they do, they can omit the chocolate chip eyes and they’ll just be really good chewy cookies.
Real groundhogs are often brown in color, so you can use toasted coconut; it takes a little more time to toast it, but it tastes really good. Just spread the coconut on a shallow baking sheet in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes. If you have leftovers, the toasted coconut can be stored for several months in a Ziploc-type bag or an airtight plastic container. It’s great to sprinkle as a garnish on the whipped cream when serving coconut cream pie or coconut pudding.
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup sliced almonds, chopped
14 ounces chocolate sandwich cookies, finely crushed
2 cups coconut, (about)
Semi-sweet chocolate chips, for eyes
- Place the 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips in a large microwaveable bowl.
- Microwave 1 minute; remove from the oven and stir.
- If the chocolate isn’t completely melted, microwave an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute, stirring after 30 seconds.
- Stir in the sweetened condensed milk and almond extract.
- Stir in the almonds and sandwich cookies.
- Measure the coconut to a large plate.
- Scoop teaspoonfuls of the mixture and roll in the coconut.
- Place on a parchment-lined sheet and flatten slightly.
- Press two chocolate chips, point side down, into the cookies for eyes.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 100 Calories from Fat 40
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 40% Protein 7% Carb. 53%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 6 mg
Sodium 30 mg
Total Carbohydrate 13 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 2%