If you have prepared the Basic Creole Sauce Module, however, and have it stored in your freezer, this dish becomes one that can be made in about 15 minutes, and is easily doable by even the busiest or inexperienced cook. All one has to do is start some rice in the rice cooker (or on the stove if one isn’t available), then bring the sauce to a simmer and add the shrimp. When the rice is done, the dish is ready to serve. You can’t get much faster than that.
To complete this simple but delicious meal, add a tossed salad made with precut, packaged greens from the produce department drizzled with your favorite salad dressing and crusty freshly baked French bread with lots of real butter.
Shortcut Shrimp Creole
4 cups Basic Creole Sauce from the Basic Creole Sauce Module
1 pound raw shrimp, deveined, peeled, and tails off
6 cups cooked rice
1/2 cup green onions, chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- If the sauce is frozen, defrost it in the microwave; this takes about 5 minutes on high.
- Transfer the sauce to a saucepan.
- Place the saucepan on the stove, turn the heat to medium, and heat to boiling.
- When the mixture boils, turn the heat down so that the mixture is just simmering.
- Stir in the shrimp and cook about 5 minutes, or until they are pink; do not overcook.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- To serve: Place a mound of rice on each of six serving plates.
- Cover each mound with the shrimp mixture.
- Sprinkle each with green onions and parsley.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 364 Calories from Fat 11
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 3% Protein 24% Carb. 73%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 1 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 148 mg
Sodium 604 mg
Total Carbohydrate 66 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 22 g
Vitamin A 7% Vitamin C 9% Calcium 0% Iron 31%