Many of us are looking to start a diet for the New Year. There is good news for all us chocolate lovers out there. Chocolate is allowed on most of the popular diets. Besides the wonderful taste, chocolate in its purest form is actually good for you. You do need to choose wisely and remember the highest percentage of cocoa means the healthiest. As with anything else it is always best to eat it in moderation.
There are a few diets that do not allow chocolate. These are typically strictly low carb diets such as the Paleo diet or the Dukan diet. The Atkins diet does restrict chocolate. However, they do offer their own brand of chocolate bars.
The following top diet plans allow chocolate:
1. The Weight Watchers diet allows you to consume chocolate. You need to include any foods in your daily points. For example, a 9 piece serving of Hershey Kisses is 5 points. In addition, Weight Watchers has their own brand of chocolates and desserts. The Weight Watchers chocolates are typically higher in fiber. I have tried them and they are worth every point.
2. The Mediterranean diet also allows chocolate. This diet encourages dark chocolate with a high percentage of cocoa. A typical treat would be 1 ounce of chocolate.
3. Nutrisystem is a prepackaged diet plan. Luckily, there is a bit of chocolate offered. Some of the options are chocolate snack bars, chocolate pudding and even chocolate cheesecake.
4. Jenny Craig is another diet that follows a diet of prepackaged foods. Jenny Craig allows you their own brand of brownies, cookies, and cakes.
5. The South Beach diet allows 75 calories for sweets during phase 1. This is limited and the only chocolate option is for cocoa powder. Phase 2 does allow chocolate pudding and semi-sweet chocolate. I think pudding is a great healthy way to get your chocolate fix.
The great thing for dieters is many of the popular plans available sell their own products at the grocery store. That takes all of the guess work out of planning your chocolate cravings.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!