All of the ingredients for these slightly spicy noodles are available at the grocery store; the Thai red curry paste and coconut milk are on the aisle with the Asian foods. There is minimum chopping necessary; just a head of cabbage, some peanuts, and a few green onions; to save time on the cabbage, use two 10 ounce packages of coleslaw mix in place of the head of cabbage. The carrots in the mix add color and flavor to the dish. A boning knife makes quick work of the chicken breasts; slice them as thin as possible on the diagonal.
These noodles were the hands-down favorite at a cooking class I taught recently, and once you taste them, there’s a good chance they’ll be a favorite of yours too.
4 3 oz. packages ramen noodles, chicken flavor
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 14 oz. can coconut milk
1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste, more or less to taste
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 cups water
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, sliced in thin strips
1 head green cabbage, shredded
5 ounces bamboo shoot
3/4 cup chopped salted peanuts
3 chopped green onions
- Fill a large saucepan with water, bring to a boil, and add the ramen noodles; reserve the seasoning packages for the sauce.
- Boil the noodles for exactly 2 minutes; pour into a colander and drain well. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat in a large deep skillet; add the onion and cook until limp, stirring occasionally, three to five minutes.
- Pour in the coconut milk and add the curry paste, brown sugar, water, soy sauce, peanut butter and seasoning packets from the ramen; stir well and bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken breast strips, cabbage, bamboo shoots, and green beans, if using.
- Cover the pan and let cook until the vegetables are crisp tender, 2-3 minutes.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons peanuts for garnish, and stir in the remaining peanuts.
- Place the cooked ramen noodles in a large bowl.
- Pour the hot peanut mixture over the noodles and toss well.
- Sprinkle with the peanuts and green onions.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 362 Calories from Fat 212
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 59% Protein 16% Carb. 26%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 24 g
Saturated Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 13 mg
Sodium 569 mg 24%
Total Carbohydrate 23 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 14 g
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 63% Calcium 0% Iron 13%
Need a stir-fry pan? You can order one from Amazon.
Circulon Elite Hard Anodized Nonstick 14-Inch Nonstick Open Stir Fry PanWoks & Stir-Fry Pans)
Cuisinart Chef's Classic Stainless 14-Inch Stir-Fry Pan with Helper Handle and Glass CoverWoks & Stir-Fry Pans)