This Shortcut Zucchini Moussaka is a delicious and easy version made with that bumper crop of zucchini that most have around during the summer months. It can be assembled easily since it starts with Italian Meat Mix made from the Basic Italian Meat Mix Module; Greek spices are stirred in and the sauce is layered with sautéed zucchini. The topping is made in the microwave in just minutes with the Basic Cream Soup Mix.
Crusty bread and a salad are all that is needed to make a delicious, complete Greek meal. To make this dish more substantial, add a layer of thinly sliced, cooked potatoes with the zucchini.
2 cups Italian Meat Mix from the Basic Italian Meat Mix Module
1 26 oz. jar spaghetti sauce
1 tablespoon dehydrated onion flakes
2 tablespoons fresh oregano, finely chopped or 2 teaspoons dried
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup olive oil
2 pounds zucchini, sliced on the diagonal in 1/2 inch slices
freshly ground black pepper
1 cup bread crumbs, divided
8 ounces crumbled feta cheese
2 cups basic Cream Soup Mix
3 cups water
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Mix the Italian Meat Mix, spaghetti sauce, onion flakes oregano, and cinnamon in a bowl; set aside to let the flavors blend while prepared the other ingredients. .
- Whisk together the basic Cream Soup Mix with the water in a microwaveable container.
- Microwave 3 minutes; whisk until smooth, then microwave until boiling, about 2 more minutes.
- Beat the eggs is a small bowl and whisk in a cup of so of the cream soup mixture, drop by drop so that the egg doesn't cook, but the mixture warms.
- Whisk the egg mixture into the cream soup mixture.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat; add half of the zucchini and stir to coat with the oil.
- Continue cooking and stirring until the pieces begin to brown.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain, and repeat with the remaining olive oil and zucchini.
- Assembly: Sprinkle 1/2 of the bread crumbs over the bottom of a 9 x 13" glass casserole dish.
- Top with a single layer of zucchini and sprinkle the zucchini with a little freshly ground pepper.
- Sprinkle half of the feta cheese over the zucchini.
- Pour the meat sauce over the feta cheese and spread it evenly over the zucchini.
- add the remaining bread crumbs and arrange the remaining zucchini over the bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle with pepper and the remaining feta cheese.
- Spread the cream sauce evenly over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-45 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Let the casserole sit 15 minutes before cutting into squares.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 369 Calories from Fat 195
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 53% Protein 16% Carb. 31%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 22 g
Saturated Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 80 mg
Sodium 1039 mg
Total Carbohydrate 29 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 15 g
Vitamin A 20% Vitamin C 25% Calcium 0% Iron 9%