Fill in the blank (Use the above word bank)
1. Percent means how many ____ of 100.
2. Percents can be greater than 100%. True or False
3. To change a percent to a decimal…drop the percent sign and move the decimal two places to the _______________.
4. Part/base = rate/100 used to work with proportions and ______________
5. In the above statement, ________ – represents the whole amount.
6. Two for one is the same as ______________ percent.
7. Part / ______ represents a fraction
8. 3:4 is the same as 3 ____ 4
9. The denominator for percents when represented as a fraction is always ______.
10. Percent of ________ = (original amount – new amount) / original amount
11. _______________ - comparison of two amounts
12. _______________ rate
13. Equal ratios are called ________________.
14. __________ _____________ to solve for a missing number in a proportion.
15. In a proportion, write the terms of ratios in the same ________________.
1. Percent means how many out
2. Percents can be greater than 100%. True or False True
3. To change a percent to a decimal…drop the percent sign and move the decimal two places to the left
4. Part/base = rate/100 used to work with proportions and percents
5. In the above statement, base
– represents the whole amount.
6. Two for one is the same as fifty
If a calculator costs ten dollars, two calculators would could twenty dollars. However, “two for one” means I can buy two calculators for the price of one calculator. In other words, I pay a total of ten dollars for both calculators. That’s the same as paying half price or five dollars for each one. What a deal! Half price is equivalent to fifty percent.
7. Part / whole
represents a fraction.
By definition, a fraction represents a part of a whole. Some teachers may say a fraction represents part of a total. Let’s say you ordered a taco pizza. When the pizza arrives it has been cut into eight slices with no slices eaten. At this point, it is a whole pizza. Since your brother fell asleep while waiting on the pizza, you decide to get a head start before waking him up. So, you eat three slices of pizza! Your brother catches you wiping your mouth after finishing the third slice. He accuses you of eating three parts of the whole pizza, or 3/8 of the pizza! You are guilty as charged.
8. 3:4 is the same as 3 to
The above ratio can be expressed as 3:4, 3 to 4, or ¾.
9. The denominator for percents when represented as a fraction is always
. In order to help students remember this, I ask the following question. What percentage of the problems do you want to get correct on the next test? Of course, the answer is 100%. However, if you grade was an 83. It means used answered 83 out of 100 or 83/100 or 83% correct.
10. Percent of change
= (original amount – new amount) / original amount
Percent of change means the amount a rate has changed over a period of time.
- comparison of two amounts
Unit rate – the amount compared to one; in a ratio, the second term would be one. For instance, a box of 12 pens cost $24.00. One pen or one unit cost $2. How did I get $2? Divide 24 by 12.
13. Equal ratios are called proportions
Example 3/8 = 6/24
14. Cross multiply
to solve for a missing number in a proportion.
Example: 4/5 = 8/?
4 x ? = 5 x 8
4 x ? = 40
4 times what = 40? Or divide 40 by 4 = 10
In algebraic terms:
4x = 40
4x/4 = 40/4
15. In a proportion, write the terms of ratios in the same order
Compare the same units: boys/ girls = boy/girls
It’s wrong to compare boys/girls = girls/boys