Non-diabetics will love it too, and even though it doesn’t taste like it, this dish is low in calories. Alternately, the luscious berry sauce can be served with other types of broiled or grilled fish, chicken breasts, or pork chops. Although the recipe calls for regular brown sugar, a brown sugar substitute may be used.
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1/4 cup finely chopped onions
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar or equivalent brown sugar substitute
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger
1/2 cup fresh raspberries
1/2 cup fresh blackberries
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
4 4-ounce salmon fillets
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped chives
Fresh mint, for garnish
Fresh berries, for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and onion; saute until soft.
- Add the vinegar, brown sugar, and ginger.
- Finely zest the lemon and add the zest to the mixture along with the raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries.
- Bring to a boil, stir well, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the broiler to 550°.
- Place the salmon fillets on a broiler pan.
- Cut the zested lemon in half and squeeze it over the salmon fillets;
sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Place under the broiler until browned on the top side.
- Remove the salmon from the oven, turn the fillets over, squeeze lemon juice on the uncooked side, and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Return to the broiler and broil until the salmon fillets are cooked through. The cooking time depends on the thickness of the salmon.
- Alternately, grill the salmon on a gas or charcoal grill.
- To serve, place a salmon fillet on each serving plate.
- Divide the sauce over the fillets.
- Sprinkle with chives and garnish with additional berries and mint.
Other Carbohydrates .5
Lean Meat 3
Amount Per Serving
Calories 267 Calories from Fat 101
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 38% Protein 37% Carb. 25%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 11 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 74 mg
Sodium 132 mg
Total Carbohydrate 17 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 25 g
Vitamin A 7% Vitamin C 108% Calcium 0% Iron 7%