Zucchini between 6 and 8 inches long have few, if any, seeds and are tender and delicious; that’s the size to be used in this recipe. If fresh herbs are available, they add color and flavor; however, dried herbs can also be used with good results.
3 zucchini, 6-8 inches long
Salt and freshly ground pepper
4 tablespoons melted butter
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
3 tablespoons fresh chives, or green onion tops, chopped
1-2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped, or 2 teaspoons dried
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup dry bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 1 tablespoon salt.
- Place the zucchini in the boiling water and cook 7 minutes.
- Drain well and cut in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out the zucchini pulp from each half, leaving a shell about 1/4" thick.
- Salt and pepper the shells and place them in a shallow glass baking dish that will accommodate them in one layer.
- Chop the pulp and transfer to a bowl.
- Add the egg, butter, 1/2 cup of the freshly grated parmesan cheese, chives, oregano, pepper, and bread crumbs.
- Mix well and stuff the mixture evenly into the shells; sprinkle with the reserved 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the filling is set.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 218 Calories from Fat 117
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 54% Protein 17% Carb. 30%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 13 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 66 mg
Sodium 426 mg
Total Carbohydrate 16 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 9 g
Vitamin A 16% Vitamin C 11% Calcium 0% Iron 11%