To watch a video for these instructions click here.
2½ cups cold leftover rice
1 cup pre-sliced, pre-cleaned mushrooms
¼ large sweet white onion
1 medium red pepper
½ cup canned bean sprouts
½ cup canned sweet peas
½ cup canned diced water chestnuts
3 tbsp peanut oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
¼ tsp ground ginger
¾ tsp garlic salt
- Using your hands, break up all of the lumps that are in the leftover rice. Make sure that the grains are all separated and then set the rice aside.
- Measure out a cup of the pre sliced, pre cleaned mushrooms. If your local store does not carry the pre sliced pre cleaned mushrooms, you can simply use regular white button mushrooms. Just wipe them clean with paper towels and slice them into about 1/8 inch slices.
- Cut the onion into small pieces and set them aside.
- Cut the stem out of the pepper and then cut it in half. Remove all of the seeds and inner white meat. Then rinse the pepper halves under cold water and dry them with paper towels. Cut them into ¼ pieces and set them aside.
- Drain all of the canned vegetables and then measure out ½ cup of each of them and set them aside.
- In a small cup, mix together all of the ingredients for the rice seasoning and set this mixture aside.
- Heat a wok on high and let it get hot. Once it is hot, add the peanut oil and let it get hot.
- When the oil is hot, add the onion and stir fry for just one minute.
- Then add the peppers and water chestnuts. Stir fry everything for 2 to 3 minutes or until the edges of the peppers start to turn brown.
- Add the mushrooms and the bean sprouts and stir fry everything for 3 more minutes, or until the mushrooms are soft.
- Add the rice and mix it thoroughly into the vegetables.
- When the rice it mixed in, add the seasoning mixture and the peas and again thoroughly mix everything together.
- Then remove it from the heat and serve. These is great as an accompaniment to almost any main course, or top with stir fried tofu to make a complete vegetarian meal. Makes about 4 servings.