Thai Drunken Noodles is a versatile dish, and can contain any meat or seafood. There are hundreds of recipes for these spicy noodles, and the thing most have in common are wide rice noodles, fresh basil, and chile peppers. This version, which uses ground pork or chicken because it cooks quickly and doesn’t need to be sliced, can be finished in less than 30 minutes. The key is to get the noodles soaking in hot water first, then chop the onions, chilies, bell pepper, and tomatoes. While the onions are softening in the pan with the garlic and chilies, slice the basil and lime leaves; they’ll be ready when it’s time to add them.
Feel free to substitute favorite meats such as sliced pork, beef, or chicken for the ground meat in this recipe. Shrimp is also good in addition to the meat, or on its own; if using shrimp, it should be added just before the noodles to prevent overcooking.
6 ounces wide rice noodles
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 to 4 green chile peppers, (such as jalapeno) depending on how hot you want your noodles or how bad your hangover is
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
8 ounces ground pork, or ground chicken or turkey
1 red bell pepper, quartered and sliced
4 fresh kaffir lime leaves, sliced very thinly
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tomato, chopped
1/4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- Place the rice noodles in a bowl, cover with hot tap water, and let soak for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet.
- Add the chopped chilies, onion slices, and garlic.
- Stir-fry for 1 minute, then add the ground pork.
- Stir the pork as it’s cooking, breaking it up, for 2 minutes.
- Add the red bell pepper and kaffir lime leaves.
- Move the mixture to the side and pour in the soy sauce and sugar.
- Add the tomato and the drained noodles; stir-fry until the noodles are done, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the basil, transfer to serving plates, and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 356 Calories from Fat 138
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 40% Protein 13% Carb. 48%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 15 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 37 mg
Sodium 880 mg
Total Carbohydrate 43 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 11 g
Vitamin A 12% Vitamin C 20% Calcium 0% Iron 14%