To watch a video for these instructions click here.
14oz bag pre mixed coleslaw
8oz can sliced water chestnuts
14oz can bean sprouts
1 cup sliced pre-cleaned button mushrooms
2 large green onions
4 tbsp stir fry oil
12 egg roll wrappers - (eggless egg roll wrappers can usually be found at specialty shops)
Bowl of warm water
2 to 3 cups peanut oil
Ĺ tsp ground ginger
Ĺ tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp garlic salt
- Open and drain the canned water chestnuts and bean sprouts.
- Measure out the sliced mushrooms. If they are not already pre-cleaned, simply place them in a colander and rinse them under cold running water. Then let them dry thoroughly.
- Rinse the green onions under cold water and dry them with paper towels. Cut off the bases and about an inch from the top of the green stalks and discard. Cut the remaining stalks into tiny pieces and set them aside.
- In a small cup, mix together all of the ingredients for the seasoning mixture and set it aside.
- Prepare to cook the vegetables. Heat a non stick wok on high. Once hot, add the stir fry oil.
- Once the oil is hot add the bag of pre-mixed coleslaw. Stir fry it until the oil is completely mixed into the coleslaw, about 1 minute.
- Add the bean sprouts and stir fry for another minute. Then add the mushrooms and the water chestnuts. Stir fry everything for 5 minutes, or until all the vegetables are soft.
- Add the seasoning mixture and stir until it is thoroughly mixed in to the vegetables.
- Then stir in the green onions and remove the wok from the heat.
- Place the vegetables in a container to cool and let them cool for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Set up a work station to wrap the egg rolls. Have a board or plate on which to wrap the egg rolls, the egg roll wrappers, a bowl of warm water, and a cookie sheet on which to place the finished egg rolls.
- Begin wrapping the egg rolls. Lay out a wrapper with one of the corners pointing toward you so that it is in the shape of a diamond. Then place some of the filling in the middle, but more towards the corner that is pointing towards you.
- Next, wrap the corner closest to you over the mixture. Then bring in the side corners. Using your finger, wet the sides of the remaining corner. Then roll up the rest of the egg roll and place it on the cookie sheet with the sealed side down. Continue rolling the remaining egg rolls.
- Once all of the egg rolls are filled, heat the peanut oil on high. Make sure that the temperature reaches 350F and stays between 350F and 375F while cooking the egg rolls.
- When the oil is hot, add 4 to 5 egg rolls to the wok. Remember, we donít want to overcrowd the wok. Depending on the size of your wok, these will probably have to be cooked in batches of 4 to 5.
- Let them cook for about 6 minutes, or until brown, turning them over half way through.
- When they are finished, remove them with a slotted spatula or mesh sieve and place them on a plate lined with paper towels. Continue cooking the remaining egg rolls in batches.
- When they are finished serve them immediately. These are great with a side of duck sauce or my personal favorite hot Chinese mustard. Makes 12 egg rolls.