It's hard to think of a more refreshing or quickly prepared salad.
- 1 pound of medium sized squid, cleaned and sliced into rings
- 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced.
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbs lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives
- In a 1 quart microwavable dish toss together the squid, onions, and bell pepper.
- Cover the dish tightly with plastic wrap and cook at full power for 1 minute. Don't take the wrap off.
- After the first minute shake the dish to mix the ingredients. Microwave for another minute.
- Shake the dish again and microwave for another 30 seconds.
- Carefully remove the plastic wrap, being careful not to have the steam vent toward you.
- Allow the squid and vegetables to cool slightly.
- Carefully poor the liquid off the squid.
- Allow to cool until it is room temperature. (If you are preparing the squid ahead of time refrigerate, but don't serve too cold.)
- Add the olive oil, lemon juice, celery, black pepper, and olives to the squid and vegetables. Toss well and serve.
Notes: If you want to make a seafood salad add 10 medium shrimp and 10 cleaned mussels. When cooking in the microwave place the shrimp and mussels toward the outside of the dish and the vegetables and squid in the center. Increase your cooking time by 1-2 minutes. Add another celery stalk, 5 olives, and increase olive oil and lemon juice by 1 tablespoon each.
The original recipe serves 4-6 people and the seafood salad will serve 6-8 people.
There is no need to salt this dish. The olives will provide enough saltiness.
I like to microwave foods in my Tupperware bowls. They have the seal that I need for this type of dish, but I can pop the vent to let the steam out safely. If I need to cook something that needs to be vented I can do it knowing my pasta sauce won't be splattered all over the inside of my microwave.