Grilling is really quick, but if the grill isn’t available, this bread can be made in the oven under the broiler. Either way, this flavorful light bread will become a favorite to serve with any kind of food. The dough is made quickly in the automatic bread machine, which uses only about 10-minutes precious hands-on time. Shaping is quick and easy, too.
Bread Machine Grilled Naan with Garlic and Coriander
1 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
6 tablespoons ghee or clarified butter
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons plain yogurt
1 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
1/4 cup ghee or clarified butter
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 tablespoons fresh coriander (cilantro), finely chopped
- Place the dough ingredients in the pan of the automatic bread machine in the order given.
- Set the machine on the dough setting and start.
- After 5 minutes, check the dough to make sure it is forming a soft ball. If it is too stiff, add a little more water; if it is too soft, add a little more flour.
- When the dough cycle is finished, turn onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 8 equal parts.
- Form each part into a ball and let rest 10 minutes.
- Heat the barbecue grill to the lowest setting.
- Roll or pat each of the balls of dough into either the traditional Naan teardrop shape or rounds, as thin as possible.
- Place them on the grill, shut the lid, and let them bake 2-3 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, heat the 1/4 cup ghee or clarified butter with the garlic over low heat (microwave is okay).
- Brush the loaves with the hot garlic-ghee mixture and sprinkle with the coriander.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 336 Calories from Fat 166
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 49% Protein 6% Carb. 44%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 18 g
Saturated Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 46 mg
Sodium 295 mg
Total Carbohydrate 37 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 5 g
Vitamin A 14% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 3%